Thursday, September 25, 2008

Speaking of accordions...

This particular post is dedicated for my love for playing music. I've been learning instruments since I can remember forced upon by my parents...well, not my parents; my dad never really cared, just for how much it cost him for lessons and instruments so my mom was basically the puppeteer.
The instruments that were forced upon me were the piano,the clarinet, saxophone and the trumpet. The instruments I have chosen to learn out of free will were the guitar, harmonica, bass guitar, opera singing and the accordion.
All my life, music was part of my life, I don't think there was a week in my life except while traveling, that I haven't played an instrument. It comes so easy to me. You can say I was born with a somewhat perfect ear meaning that if I hear something on the radio, I'm able to replay the same melody after a few minutes of exploring it on practically any instrument mentionned above.
Playing music for me is a very leisurely experience but also I play it to go through emotions, whether positive or negative. It helps me to cope with any induced stress . It runs in the family. Whenever my older brother plays the piano at my place which is once in a blue moon, everybody knows that something is bothering him.
I also used to play music making a somewhat living playing in a semi-professional band playing the clarinet and bass guitar for almost 4 years. And, let me tell you something...my life revolved at some point anticipating playing at shows, weddings, etc. Being on that stage made me feel alive, appreciated...I got paid good money doing something I truly loved and the guys I played with were practically family. We spent a lot of time together as per practices, social gatherings...This part of my life took an end when I decided to leave the band and leave for Europe for almost 2 years. Since then, I have received a few offers to join other bands but for some reason I put to quits but planning in the very near future to make a comeback in the music scene. As for making a living, I also was a musicotherapist'/leisure coordinator at a CHSLD for the elderly and played in private homes for birthdays, anniversaries....as an accordeonist/singer.
Now as for the accordion, that is the instrument I enjoy the most. Steve Urkel from Family Matters and Weird Al Yankovic gave us a bad name making it a geeky instrument but I feel one day the accordion will be in the spotlight the way it deserves. Playing the accordion is like playing for a few people, as you have the melody, the bass and you can sing or play the harmonica on the same time.
Anyways, this post is getting long...I just want to mention that I've appeared on tv on Canadian Idol this season being the first singer to ever bring an accordion on a talent show on Canadian national tv. I choked and didn't do that well and they even edited almost an hour of me into 30-40 seconds making me look like an idiot but I got the chance to appear on tv and showing off my main leisurely activity which was playing music.
Here's a link if you want to see one of my accordions, one of my passions, in the 24h newspaper.
http://www.myvirtualpaper.com/doc/24hrsmontreal/24h-montreal-20-05-2008/2008051901/22.html

No comments: