Wednesday, October 8, 2008

I truly enjoy every aspect of poker

Last saturday, a buddy of mine called me up for a poker game at his place and what the heck: I told myself, instead of wasting hundreds of dollars at a club I supposed to go to, I'll enjoy my night with friends and acquaintances. Of course I had to buy some beverages, how can you go to someones place not bringing anything, so I got a case of Heinekens. We were 3 at first and at the end of the night we were 11 guys playing poker.
I see myself as a good poker player, some people had no clue what they were doing, others it seemed as if they were professionals which two of the guys actually make a living simply by playing poker amongst other things. What I like about poker besides the game is that it brings people together. That night I rekindled friendships with guys I havent seen for years through the game of poker. It enriches the evening instead of eleven guys talking and watching tv.
Every time I play poker, I improve my game by watching others, sometimes without even knowing it. Other times, people will tell me what I did wrong and what I should do. I educate myself on the game...I dont know if you can call it leisure education...I guess I learn to enjoy the game more and more when I see that it's more a social event than trying to win money. I mean, I'm not gambling by myself in front of the computer...I'm with people. I used to think of poker as a way to make money; that has changed..
My night ended at around 4h30 am and can you imagine I was the first one to leave. You lose track of time when you play it. Because, you're continuously having fun...well, not continuously, I tend to be agressive on the table when somebody bothers me on their lack of skill or bad beat.
Anyways, the beer cost me 20$, I only lost 40$ as it was a friendly game and made new friends.

No comments: