Monday, October 27, 2008

Passions and leisure: he likes dancing...

I went to New York for a few days last week during my time off from work...I will not write about what happened there,the stories, the experiences or my leisure. I will write about a guy I've met that has a passion and that passion is dancing. I met him while my cousin picked me up where I was staying close to central park for a night on the town. There was me, my brother, our mutual friend/ex girlfriend that studies there as an actress, my cousin and Slawek. Slawek was sitting in the passenger seat and we were listening to dance music. During our drive, whenever there was music he liked, he went out of control with his movements to the point it was hard to follow his moves. We stepped outside and went to small irish bar for a beer and he was continuously complaining that he disliked the music and that he likes to dance. I cannot count how many times he stated, in his Borat sound accent:"I like to dance."
We had trouble getting in the clubs later on as I didn't think to bring my I.D. It seems that in New York they will even ask your grandmother for her I.D. if she wants to go to a club. So, we had to go see a few places until a sympathetic bouncer let me in. In every place, we tried to get in, Slawek would ask what kind of music they played and everytime they said it was something other than dance, he would get angry and tell them that he dislikes their music and again that he likes to dance.
We finally got in to this place in a basement. There were maybe max 75 people with a live eight piece band. There wasn't technically a dance floor nor they played tunes that were made for dancing. Most of the time, everyone was sitting but Slawek did not sit for more than a minute and danced the night away. He never stopped even when everyone was sitting because the band was playing some complicated tune, he would still be up standing playing air guitar. The people were laughing at him because he looked like a fool most of the time but he continued. He wasn't doing this to show off he simply likes to dance. He had this rare zest of life and enjoyed this simple activity and he wasn't on drugs or drank alcohol.

No comments: